Mushens Entertainment is a literary agency based in Shoreditch. We represent a range of bestselling commercial fiction and non-fiction from SFF, historical, crime and reading group fiction to cookbooks and memoir. We are looking for a Literary Assistant to join our busy office to work across the agents’ lists and foreign rights department.
The right candidate will have at least one year’s experience at a publishing company, literary scout or agency. They will be organised and motivated with a passion for reading broadly across the genres. They will be dealing with money and spreadsheets, so an aptitude for maths is useful! We are looking for someone who has a high level of accuracy and attention to detail in their work as well as strong communication skills and discretion.
Duties will include:
- Invoicing, tracking and processing payments
- Helping process foreign rights contracts and liaising with clients over translation offers
- Updating financial trackers and submission trackers
- Reading and evaluating submissions
- Editorial notes on client manuscripts
- Helping draft submission letters and submission lists
- Keeping our website and blog updated
- Updating the publication dates tracker and preparing publication day posts for social media
- Scheduling Frankfurt and London Book Fair meetings and putting together our rights guide
- Dealing with proof requests
To apply please send a cover letter which includes a paragraph about one or two books you have read and enjoyed recently. Please also include a CV. The salary is £25,000 per annum. Please make your application by sending your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24th August (we will be reviewing applications daily and reserve the right to close the process earlier if the right candidate is found). Please note that this is primarily an office-based role.