Book Buyer (Maternity Cover)
Founded in 1985, NHBS Ltd (www.nhbs.com) is a world leader in supplying natural history, ecology and conservation books and ecological survey equipment to institutions, retailers, companies, and private customers around the world. In addition to the retail business, NHBS manufactures equipment in an on-site workshop and publishes two magazines.
NHBS is looking for a Book Buyer (12 month maternity cover) to join our Product and Purchasing team. The successful candidate will work with our books team as well as in close collaboration with other departments at NHBS such as Sales & Marketing and Customer Services.
- Assisting in identifying the best new natural history, ecology and conservation books for inclusion in marketing promotions
- Work with suppliers and publishers on promotions such as blog posts, author interviews and signed copies
- Negotiating promotional offers and discounts with publishers
- Applying pricing strategies
- Selecting products for email promotions, conferences and print catalogues
- Help with purchasing to suggest order quantities, send and follow up on purchase orders
- Work with our goods-in team to check new books when they arrive
- Responding to customer queries about book content and availability
- Represent NHBS at conferences across the UK and EU
Required Skills and Experience:-
- An interest in all natural history and ecology books, from species monographs to field guides, textbooks, field manuals, ecological theory and polemic texts
- Skilled in project management
- Good numeracy skills and experience with Excel
- A good telephone manner and outstanding written communication skills
- Good commercial awareness
- An outgoing personality and the ability to interact with a wide range of stakeholders such as authors and publishers
Preferred Skills and Experience:-
- Experience in book retail, marketing, or publishing
- Experience in negotiating prices and supplier relationships
- Highly self-motivated and focused
Our offer to you:-
Salary: £20,000 - £22,500 p.a depending on experience, based on a 37.5 hour week Monday - Friday. This 12 month contract attracts 28 days holiday (includes Bank Holidays) plus a day off for your birthday, up to three paid days of conservation volunteering p.a. and a generous company pension and enhanced Maternity/Paternity leave. Free parking on site.
How to apply:-
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter with your CV by 7th June 2022 to Steve Powell, Head of Product & Purchasing, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are based in Totnes, South Devon, right next to the river Dart, halfway between Dartmoor and the coast. NHBS is passionate about making a positive environmental impact - our core purpose is to support those who work to understand, protect and conserve the natural environment. The successful candidate will be joining a diverse and friendly workforce of 55 staff.