Assistant Editor FICTION
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, organised and creative individual to join the fiction editorial team as an Assistant Editor on a full-time basis. The role is ideal for someone with at least a year’s experience in a fiction editorial department who is eager to progress their career in a fast-growing company with many high profile and award-winning authors, illustrators and brands.
Purpose of the Job
The role is to provide administrative support for the department as well as to project manage titles from copy-editing stage to print-ready files. You will work across the list on the frontlist, backlist and reprints to produce beautiful, immaculate books to deadline, and provide high standards of care for authors and illustrators.
The Assistant Editor reports to the Head of Fiction, working closely with the Senior Editor and Senior Commissioning Editor, and will be joining a dedicated, bright and vibrant editorial department.
We are a close team and we value the experience and creative input that we can each provide to help shape our titles to be the best they can be.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing general administrative support, including scheduling and Biblio upkeep
- Liaising with other departments in Nosy Crow, working especially closely with Design and Production
- Acting as a key point of contact for authors and illustrators, and providing them with excellent care
- Project managing titles from copy-editing stage to finished copy, on time and to a high standard
- Experience in a fiction editorial department, ideally in children’s publishing
- Mastery of Biblio
- Strong organisational and time-management skills, and the ability to prioritise in a busy and sometimes high-pressure environment
- Excellent copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a keen eye for detail and creative flair
- Basic design skills using InDesign and Photoshop (desirable but not essential)
The successful candidate will have the right to live and work in the UK.
Given the current pandemic, the role will initially be a home-working one but, as soon as our offices reopen, it will be based in our London office near London Bridge.
To apply, please email your CV, plus details of your current salary if relevant, accompanied by not more than 500 words on what you think you could contribute to Nosy Crow, both personally and as an Assistant Editor, to Kirsty Stansfield (firstname.lastname@example.org). We look forward to reading your application.
The closing date for applications is 31/01/2021 at midnight (UK time).
Nosy Crow is an equal opportunities employer. We believe that employing a diverse workforce is an important factor in success and make recruiting decisions based on applicants’ experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
The Nosy Crow salary for people entering publishing at an assistant level is the London Living Wage. For all other jobs, including this one, salaries are dependent on skills and experience.