We have a new and exciting opportunity for an Editor to join us at Nosy Crow, working on our children’s brands and licensed publishing lists.
Nosy Crow is a multi-award winning, independent children’s publishing company with operations in both the UK and the USA. We make child-focused, parent-friendly children’s books for ages 0-12. We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, organised and creative editor to work on our licensed publishing list on a full-time basis. The role is ideal for someone with at least 3 years’ experience in a full-colour children’s editorial department, preferably children’s character or licensed publishing, who is eager to progress their career in a fast-growing independent company with many high profile and award-winning authors, illustrators, licensors and brands.
This is a full-time position. This is a hybrid role, working 3 days per week in our office near to London Bridge. The successful candidate will have the right to live and work in the UK.
Purpose of the Job
The role is to work with the Head of Brands and Licensing to create commercially focused books for well-known TV brands, liaising with licensors, agents, freelancers and colleagues across the business to drive forward Nosy Crow’s licensed publishing, while maintaining the high editorial and production standards we are known for. As such, we are looking for someone who can hit the ground running, working across a range of titles and formats for preschool and middle-grade brands properties and character-led series. You will work across the frontlist, backlist and reprints to help produce beautiful, immaculate books to deadline, and provide high standards of care for licensors, authors and illustrators.
The Editor reports to the Head of Brands and Licensing, working particularly closely with all editorial and design colleagues from other areas of the business, and will join a dedicated, bright and vibrant editorial department.
We are a small, close team, and we value the experience and creative input that we can each provide to help shape our titles to be the best they can be. As such, you must be flexible, pro-active and motivated, and able to use your own initiative to prioritise your workload. In return, we will support your career development at an exciting time in the company’s growth.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee a range of titles from inception through to print, ensuring high editorial standards.
- Commission original content and manage freelancers where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with the IP holders.
- Work closely with the Head of Brands and Licensing to develop ideas for publishing.
- Manage schedules closely to deliver projects to brief, on time and on budget.
- Drive creative excellence and accuracy.
- Provide general administrative support, managing schedules and Biblio upkeep
- Liaise with other departments within Nosy Crow, including working closely with Design and Production
- Proofread and copyedit books and catalogue copy
- Act as a key point of contact for licensors, authors and illustrators, providing them with excellent author and licensor care
- Experience in a children’s illustrated book editorial department, ideally in character or licensed publishing
- Mastery of Biblio/extremely fast learner with biblio-type software
- Strong organisational and time-management skills, and the ability to prioritise in a busy and sometimes high-pressure environment
- Excellent copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a keen eye for detail and creative flair
- A real understanding of how words and pictures work together to tell a meaningful story
- An understanding of children’s brand and licensed publishing and approval processes
25 days paid holiday, plus bank holidays
Employee Assistance Programme
Critical Illness cover
Group Life Assurance
Enhanced maternity/paternity/partner/adoption leave
Cycle to Work Scheme
Season ticket loans
Eye care vouchers
Up to 80% off RRP for Nosy Crow book purchases
The closing date for applications is 7/12/2023 at midnight (UK time).
If this sounds like you, please email your CV, accompanied by your cover letter of not more than 500 words, outlining why you think you would be the perfect candidate for this exciting new opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org. We really look forward to reading your application.
Nosy Crow is an Disability Confident, committed equal opportunities employer. We believe that employing a diverse workforce is an important factor in success and make recruiting decisions based on applicants’ experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage or civil partnership. Applications are treated with due confidentiality.
Nosy Crow is a member of the Living Wage foundation.