Oneworld is one of Britain’s leading independent publishers. We publish around 70 new books a year across a range of non-fiction, literary fiction, crime and children’s fiction. In recent years, our books have won two Man Booker Prizes, the Women’s Prize for Fiction, the Indie Book Award, Financial Times / McKinsey Business Book of the Year and the Royal Society Science Book Prize.
We have a new position for an editorial assistant, principally working on our non-fiction titles (history, social issues, popular science etc). This would be an ideal position for a young professional to work within a collaborative and supportive team.
We are looking for a bright, self-motivated graduate with initiative, excellent proofreading and copyediting skills, good general knowledge, strong organisational capabilities and a flair for writing excellent copy. You will have peerless Microsoft Word skills. The ideal candidate will understand the importance of attention to detail at all stages of the publishing process.
Your primary responsibility will be to work with our editors, providing support for all aspects of the author–publisher relationship, from the contract to the finished book, including:
- Overseeing the critical path for books
- Second edits on texts and collating edits
- Drafting promotional and marketing copy
- Clearing image and text permissions
- Performing pre-print checks, fact checks and proofreading copy
- Soliciting endorsements for new titles
- Liaising with authors and agents
- Maintaining our title database
- Working with other members of the Oneworld team on editorial, design, production, sales, marketing, and publicity issues as required.
Start date: As close to mid–late October 2022 as possible
Applications: Until 3 October 2022
Location: Our London office at 10 Bloomsbury Street WC1B 3SR
Salary: £22–£24,000 per annum, depending on experience.
Please submit your CV and covering letter to non-fiction editorial director Sam Carter.