Desk EditorDesk Editor (Pan), Adult Publishing, FTC
Department: Pan, Adult Publishing
Pan Macmillan UK is one of the largest general book publishers in the UK, with imprints including Macmillan, Mantle, Pan, Picador, Bluebird, Macmillan Children's Books and Macmillan Digital Audio. Pan Macmillan is part of the worldwide Macmillan Publishers International Ltd.
To cover maternity leave, an opportunity has arisen for a Desk Editor to work across the varied Fiction and Non-Fiction publishing programme within the Pan division, encompassing the Macmillan, Pan, Tor and Mantle imprints.
We are looking for a highly organized and enthusiastic Desk Editor with experience of working with trade publishers. You will be assisting the Managing Editor and Desk Editors with managing the Pan Fiction and Non-Fiction publishing lists, project managing titles from copy-editing stage through to final files for frontlist titles, offsets, reissues and reprints; all editions, including eBooks and cover material.
Working as part of a busy and dynamic team you will be expected to monitor progress and chase material from editors, liaise with authors and maintain strong working relationships with everyone involved in the editorial and production process. The role combines project management with the need for excellent editing and proofreading skills, along with experience in commissioning and managing editorial freelancers.
The successful applicant will:
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent
- Have previous desk editing experience
- Have a strong understanding of the production process and scheduling
- Have a broad knowledge of, and interest in, commercial and genre Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Have excellent editing and proofreading skills
- Be self-motivated and highly flexible – happy to move between projects as priorities dictate and manage multiple projects effectively
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills
- Have an impeccable eye for detail and an excellent understanding of the English language, i.e. grammar, punctuation and semantics
- Have a strong understanding of Microsoft Word (track changes) and Adobe (for digital mark-up). Experience of working with Biblio would be an advantage.
The position is primarily based at our offices in Farringdon, London, but flexible home working and flexi-working time will also be considered.
Salary: Starting from £25,000
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter confirming your current salary and quoting reference PAN/029/20 via email: email@example.com
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for the vacancy.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position.
Closing date: 2nd October 2020