Are you an organised quick thinker with an eye for detail, who would thrive in a fast-paced environment? Don’t miss this exciting opportunity to join the international Translations team at DK, a leading global publisher.
DK’s International Publishing & Licensing Department is seeking an enthusiastic and well-organised Editor with native-level Spanish and fluency in English and to join our small translations team in the London office. Further languages, such as French and Italian would be beneficial.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone wanting to take the next step in their career as an Editorial professional within a highly creative, innovative, and award-winning organisation, at a time of growth for our international business.
You will manage and coordinate our in-house Translations team as well as project-managing the translations we commission.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Project-managing the translation process from start to finish, resolving any problems that arise along the way
- Coordinating the DK translations team and overseeing the team’s workload and responsibilities
- Ensuring all stakeholders meet strict deadlines
- Liaising with internal departments, external translators and translation agencies
- Request quotes, negotiating prices and evaluating translations quality, service and costs on an ongoing basis
- Keeping translation cost trackers and various internal databases up to date, raising POs and drafting contracts
- Identifying translation issues, reviewing translated material, contributing ideas and solutions for translation queries
- Actively working on creating and delivering supporting sales materials for Spanish language titles, and overseeing others creating and supplying sales materials
- You will have native-level fluency in Spanish with fluent written and spoken English
- You enjoy creative writing, for instance for marketing materials, blurbs and product descriptions.
- You have a thorough understanding of translation processes, ideally as part of a translation agency/ studio or working as part of a team
- A translation related or linguistic qualification and understanding of editorial and desktop publishing best practices (including formatting, proofreading, typography and layout in InDesign) would be an advantage
- Have experience managing others working to tight deadlines
- You will have exceptional organisational skills and be able to proactively manage a varied and demanding workload
- Have an excellent attention to detail
- Have a can-do attitude
If you are interested, please submit your most recent CV and cover letter.
Application deadline: October 14, 2023
We have a range of benefits to reflect our commitment to our people, some of which are:
- 25 days paid holiday entitlement in year one, plus bank holidays
- Generous pension scheme
- Volunteering policy and charity matching
- Employee assistance programme
- Cycle to work scheme and discounted gym membership
- Summer hours
And we plant a tree for every new employee to our business
DK is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the varied communities that read our books across the world. We encourage applications from all individuals, regardless of age, religion, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or social background. DK is proud to announce that we have adopted The Halo Code.
DK supports flexible working and has introduced a new ‘smart-working’ policy with a hybrid approach of working weekly from home and in DK’s office.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade, but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews or undertaking internships. For more information, visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org
About our Company:
We believe in the power of discovery. That's why we create books for everyone that explore ideas and nurture curiosity about the world we live in. From first words to the Big Bang, from the wonders of nature to city adventures, you will find expert knowledge, hours of fun and endless inspiration in the pages of our books.
We are the world's leading illustrated publisher and a member of the Penguin Random House division of Bertelsmann, creating cutting-edge design and stunning visual books for the whole family. We are passionate about inspiring curiosity and bring people to books through their thirst for knowledge. With a global book loving community of over 800 colleagues in the UK, US, Germany, India, China, Spain and Australia, we produce books in over 100 countries and over 60 languages. Find out more on dk.com.