Children’s Book Project Editor/Senior Project Editor
Closing date: Wednesday November 10th 2021
Phaidon is the premier global publisher of the creative arts, with over 1,500 titles in print. We work with the world’s most influential writers, chefs, architects, designers, photographers, and thinkers to produce innovative books on food, architecture, design, art, photography, fashion, general interest, travel, and illustrated books for children.
An exciting job opportunity has arisen in our London office for a highly creative, experienced Children’s Book Project Editor/Senior Project Editor. Working closely with the Associate Publisher, you will manage a range of illustrated nonfiction titles for children ages 0–14 in various formats (from board books to large-format gift books). You will be involved in all aspects of book creation, from pre-acquisitions through to publication. This will include concepting exciting new titles, assessing texts, editing contracted projects (structural edits through to final proofreading), and managing budgets and schedules. This is currently not an acquiring role but has the potential to grow into one.
Our ideal candidate has several years of editorial experience in children’s book publishing; demonstrable ability to develop age-appropriate content; a keen eye for language; and is extremely detail oriented. A true passion for children’s books and market knowledge is essential.
All applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK and we would particularly welcome applications from candidates from currently under-represented groups in book publishing. To apply, please email a full CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Editorially manage contracted projects from pre-acquisition through to publication, and additionally support marketing, publicity, and sales efforts
- Collaborate with the Design team and external designers throughout the book process regarding specs, illustration needs, routes, and overall design
- Create and monitor schedules, manage freelance copyediting of manuscripts and proofreading and indexing of page proofs. Check for quality assurance at all stages and ensure revisions have been made correctly
- Create project proposals, quote request forms, profit & loss statements, catalogue copy, online copy, contract requests, and payment requests; manage gratis lists; update company database records (Books); and complete other administrative tasks relating to the children’s titles
- Evaluate potential projects with regard to Phaidon’s editorial identity and market
Requirements and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3 years experience in children’s publishing, and a specific knowledge of and passion for children’s books (ages 0–14) and the children’s marketplace
- Expert writing skills, oral communication skills, and negotiation skills
- Detail orientation, respect for process, deadline sensitivity, and the ability to juggle and prioritize, willingness to collaborate
- Candidate should be energetic, communicative, and resourceful