Are you an outstanding designer, passionate about covers and keen to work for an independent publisher known for its beautiful book jackets?
Over the last 26 years, Profile Books has grown from a staff of three to over sixty having published a diverse range of distinctive books of the highest quality. We remain a proud beacon of independent publishing. Our imprints include Profile Books, Serpent’s Tail, Viper, Souvenir Press, and Wellcome Collection.
Our covers matter so much to our publishing and we have won awards and acclaim for our work, from stunning fiction jackets like The Essex Serpent to clever, impactful and bestselling book covers on titles like SPQR and Detransition, Baby.
We are looking for a talented, visually creative, design-literate and enthusiastic designer to join us, initially on a twelve month contract working four or five days per week. You will producing stunning jackets that have a strong, clean aesthetic that position and sell our books effectively. You will be interested in art and design trends beyond the world of publishing.
In this role you will:
- Design covers for our print books, ebooks and audiobooks
- Prepare visuals and present them at covers meetings
- Progress visuals to approval and artwork stage
- Liaise with colleagues to ensure timely delivery of materials
- Deal with cover enquiries
- Liaise with and supply production with materials
- Handle cover approvals
- Maintain contacts and mailing lists
- Manage your own admin.
Knowledge, skills, experience
- While we would prefer applicants to have at least two years’ experience in a design role and experience designing book covers, we will also consider applications from outstanding recent graduates and freelance designers.
- You will be highly visual, well organised, with excellent advocacy skills and the ability to multi-task whilst maintaining keen attention to detail
- You will be proficient in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. A working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator is desirable but not essential. An art or graphic design degree or similar is desirable.
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Our entry level salary is £25,500 (minimum, rising with experience, full time equivalent). Part time is possible but the salary will be pro-rated. Benefits for full time employees include 25 days holiday (rising to 30 days with length of service) plus bank holidays, pension, life assurance, annual bonus scheme for all employees, working day 9.30am-5.30pm Monday-Friday with flexible working agreements by arrangement. At the moment we are working hybrid, with full-time employees working from the office a minimum of three days a week.
Profile strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Please let us know of any reasonable adjustments you may require when attending an interview. We offer expenses for travel to London to attend interviews.
Please apply in writing with a covering letter, PDF of your work and your CV to Careers@profilebooks.com by 16 October 2022