Are you ready to take the next step in your rights career, as part of a thriving and innovative indie publisher?
Over the last twenty-five years, independent, award-winning, and fearless publisher Profile Books has grown from a staff of three to over sixty and is proud to have published a diverse range of distinctive books of the highest quality. We remain a proud beacon of independent publishing. Our imprints include Profile Books, a leader in stimulating non-fiction; Serpent’s Tail’s distinctive and award-winning fiction; Viper’s bestselling and original crime; Souvenir Press with its focus on health, psychology and creativity; and, through partnerships, Wellcome Collection’s brilliant writing about science, health, medicine and human experience, and the respected books list from The Economist.
Rights is at the heart of our business, and we sell a rich and varied list of authors all around the world, including Mary Beard, Oliver Bullough, Gavin Francis, Ian Stewart, Kate Summerscale, and Shaun Bythell.
We are looking for an organised, enthusiastic and dynamic Rights Executive – with an interest in the books we publish – to join our increasingly busy rights department. Your work will be integral in growing our rights business both internationally and at home, working alongside the Rights Director and our team of sub-agents.
In this role you will:
- Have responsibility for our large print and hardback reprint rights business
- Be preparing for and attending the London and Frankfurt book fairs and meeting with international publishers, sub-agents and scouts
- Put together rights guides and other sales materials for book fairs, sales trips and presentations
- Negotiate fees for and supply production material to international publishers
- Process contracts and maintain deal records
- Deal with rights enquiries
- Liaise with and supply production materials to sub-agents
- Handle cover approvals
- Maintain international contacts and mailing lists
- Provide administrative support to the Rights Director where required
There is also the potential to manage a sub-agented territory/territories, dependent on experience.
Knowledge, skills, experience
- This role would suit someone with at least one year’s relevant experience, most likely within a rights department of a publisher or literary agency, or at a scouting agency
- You will be highly organised, with excellent administrative skills and the ability to multi-task whilst maintaining keen attention to detail
- You will ideally be proficient in PowerPoint and InDesign, as well as Excel
- A knowledge of foreign languages is desirable, but not essential
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
The role is part time (4 days per week) and based in Farringdon, London. We are currently working to a hybrid home/office model.
Salary of £27,000-£29,000 per annum (FTE), dependent on experience. Benefits include 25 days holiday (rising to 30 days with length of service) plus bank holidays (pro rata for part time employees), pension, life insurance, annual bonus scheme for all employees, working day 9.30am – 5.30pm Monday-Friday with flexible working agreements by arrangement.
Profile strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Please let us know of any reasonable adjustments you may require when attending an interview. We offer expenses for travel to London to attend interviews.
Please apply in writing with a covering letter and your CV to Careers@profilebooks.com by Sunday 11 September 2022.