Part time Audio Editor (3.5 days per week) – Profile Books
We are looking for a new Editor to join our small Audio team. You will play a leading role in Profile’s audio publishing, helping to shape its strategy, grow the list and take its publishing to new heights.
Profile Books is a thriving, innovative independent publisher, which has grown over the past twenty-six years from a team of three to over sixty – and our publishing has grown accordingly. Profile recently brought audio publishing in-house and you will be working closely with the Head of Audio in shaping its future. We currently publish up to 50 audiobooks a year. You’ll be working with studio partners and liaising with authors, agents and other departments to make sure that our audiobooks are produced to the highest quality, on time and to budget. You’ll also be thinking creatively about adapting text to an audio format, finding gems in our backlist, selecting titles from our frontlist and looking for new commercial opportunities. You will deliver excellent author care on every project.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone looking to take the next step in their career in the fastest-growing area of the industry. Ideally we are looking for someone who already has experience in a publishing or audio environment (though please note, this is not a hands-on studio production role).
Recent audio publications include Butler to the World by Oliver Bullough, The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett, Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters, The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron and Courage is Calling by Ryan Holiday.
Profile only publishes a selection of our titles in audio each year – as Audio Editor, you will have responsibility for sublicensing audio rights in those titles that we don’t publish ourselves: you’ll meet other audio publishers, write pitches and work closely with external partners to make sure that as many of our books appear in audio as possible.
Key elements of this role include:
- Work closely with the Head of Audio to plan our publishing schedules, attend acquisition and production meetings and act as a champion and resource for audio in-house to ensure a thriving and smooth-running audio programme
- Managing the critical path and digital systems, creating briefs for studios and narrators, maintaining and updating audio databases, creating contracts and managing administrative tasks
- Overseeing the production of upcoming audio recordings, liaising with internal and external stakeholders (authors, agents, studios, sales partners, US-publishers for buy-ins) to ensure all audiobooks are delivered on time to the highest standard and within budget
- Sublicensing audio rights, including library rights, and dealing with audio rights enquiries; negotiating fees and drawing up contracts
- Working on key projects aimed at expanding Profile’s audio publishing; finding opportunities to ensure that all our titles, old and new, are being exploited to their full potential in audio
Knowledge, skills, experience:
- This role will suit someone who has already worked in publishing or in audio (e.g. podcasts or radio), and who has a knowledge of the audiobook market
- You will be highly organised, with excellent administrative and time-management skills and the ability to work effectively to multiple deadlines on multiple projects at the same time
- You will enjoy working in a team and be great at building and maintaining relationships with a range of stakeholders as well as sensitively negotiating fees. Clear communication is crucial.
- You’ll be proactive and creative with excellent attention to detail, and adaptable to change in a fast-paced environment
- Basic Excel skills along with a knowledge of Biblio or a similar publishing system are both desirable
The role is part time (3.5 days per week) and based in Farringdon, London. We are currently working to a hybrid home/office model.
Salary of £29,000-£32,000 per annum FTE (pro rata for part time hours), dependent on experience. Benefits include 25 days holiday (rising to 30 days with length of service) plus bank holidays (pro rata for part time employees), pension, life insurance, annual bonus scheme for all employees. The working day is 9.30am – 5.30pm Monday-Friday with flexible working agreements by arrangement.
Profile strives to be an equal opportunities employer, and we want to make sure that candidates can present their best at every stage of the recruitment process. Please let us know of any adjustments you may require when attending an interview. We offer expenses for travel to London to attend interviews. Please apply in writing with a covering letter and your CV to Careers@profilebooks.com by 3rd October 2022.