Are you a creative person who loves food and cooking as well as working across a broad subject range? Do you want to be part of a busy team in a fast-growing area of our business? You could be our next Editor working in our brand-new office on London’s Southbank.
Quarto creates inspiring, commercially successful books for adults and children which are published across the globe. Our adult imprints publish everything from art, design and gardening to popular culture, sport and MBS, and our cookery list ranges from authors who are household names to well-known brands.
Closing date 4th December 2023
Working hours 35 hours a week, 9.30am-5.30pm Monday to Friday
We currently operate a hybrid model, with three days in our London office and two days working from home.
About the role
As an integral part of the Adult Trade Publishing Team, you will liaise with authors, publishers, designers, illustrators, photographers, food and prop stylists and internal departments. This is to help create high-quality books that are right for their audience. You will work on titles across our six adult imprints, but will specialise in food and drink books, including organising and attending photoshoots.
What you will be involved in:
- Managing and editing approximately 14 titles per year from concept stage to printed book
- Creating and monitoring schedules for authors and illustrators
- Ensuring high standards and editorial accuracy by giving feedback at every stage of the process, from roughs to final layouts
- Being the point of contact for authors and provide excellent author care
- Co-ordinating out-of-house editorial processes such as proofreading, Americanising and indexing as necessary
- Creating required sales material when required
- Providing other administrative tasks such as generating contracts for freelancers, writing metadata, and keeping systems up to date
- Assisting with publishing event preparation as needed
You will be able to demonstrate you have minimum 3 years’ experience working on illustrated books for an international market, with at least 1 year’s experience editing cookery titles.
You will be able to show you can:
- Be highly organised and be skilled in multi-tasking
- Communicate proactively with an excellent grasp of the English language
- Enjoy being part of a busy team in a fast-paced environment
- Practice good editorial judgement
- Confidently use Microsoft applications, including Word Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat
- Manage projects and other administrative duties
- Collaborate in a hybrid team environment, as well as work independently
What we can offer
A supportive, open environment with development opportunities, as well as the following benefits:
- 25 days’ paid holiday per year (increasing up to 30 days per year), plus bank holidays
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Staff discounts on selected shops, retailers, and restaurants
- Health Cash Plan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Summer hours
- Free books scheme
- Active social and diversity committees
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com by the closing date and state the vacancy name in the email subject title.
Ensure you cover the following:
- Your motivation and match with the role requirements
- What appeals to you about this particular role
- What key skills, experience and achievements do you have that you think are relevant to this role, and why. Please provide examples of how you have used or demonstrated those.
- Where you saw the vacancy advertised
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we only be able to respond to candidates selected for interview.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for the vacancy.
We employ individuals based on their abilities and welcome applicants from all backgrounds regardless of disability, ethnic origin, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, belief, age, or sexual orientation.