Editorial Director / Senior Commissioning Editor
Do you want to work for an award-winning imprint, publishing books that are enjoyed by children around the world? Frances Lincoln Children’s Books has an opportunity for a commercially minded, creative, and highly organised Editorial Director/Senior Commissioning Editor to join its team to work across picture books, treasuries, novelty gift books, and non-fiction.
Quarto creates inspiring books for adults and children published across the globe. As an Editorial Director/Senior Commissioning Editor, you will play a key role in ensuring we continue to publish best-in-class children’s books and remain a key driver of Quarto’s success.
Closing date 1st December 2023
35 hours per week, Monday to Friday. We currently operate a discretionary hybrid model, with three days in our London office and two working from home.
About the role
Reporting to the Publisher, you will be responsible for bringing exceptional writers and illustrators to the imprint, while also working with our existing authors and illustrators. You will be responsible for key processes, including line managing the editor and assistant editor.
What you will be involved in:
Managing and editing a key list of authors and illustrators
Building and delivering an exciting and inclusive publishing programme
Managing the editor and assistant editor
Managing key processes such as scheduling
You will be able to publish exceptional picture books, gift books and non-fiction. You have experience of managing people, are highly organised and have excellent attention to detail. Your agent contacts will be established and proven in the UK, and ideally at a global level.
You will be able to show you can:
- Build exciting and profitable publishing programmes
- Solicit, evaluate and acquire book proposals
- Multitask and handle competing priorities
- Effectively manage staff
- Work across the division
- Manage key administrative processes
What we can offer
A supportive, open environment with development opportunities, as well as the following benefits:
- 25 days paid holiday per year (increasing up to 30 days per year), plus bank holidays
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Staff discounts on selected shops, retailers, and restaurants
- Health Cash Plan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Summer hours
- Free books scheme
- Active social and diversity committees
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date and state the vacancy name in the email subject title.
Ensure you cover the following:
- Your motivation and match with the role requirements
- What appeals to you about this particular role
- What key skills, experience and achievements do you have that you think are relevant to this role, and why. Please provide examples of how you have used or demonstrated those.
- Where you saw the vacancy advertised
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we only be able to respond to candidates selected for interview.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for the vacancy.
We employ individuals based on their abilities and welcome applicants from all backgrounds regardless of disability, ethnic origin, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, belief, age, or sexual orientation.