Managing Editor - Quarto Adults and Quintessence
Quarto co-edition imprints - Quarto Adults and Quintessence –are looking for a Managing Editor. This is a great opportunity to join a friendly, collaborative, and talented team at an exciting stage of its growth and to help shape the running of two very busy imprints whilst maintaining the highest of editorial standards.
Who we are:
Quarto is a leading global co-edition publisher of highly engaging illustrated non-fiction for the international market. Quarto Adults publishes across a range of subjects from craft to art instruction, reference, well-being and esoteric. Quintessence publishes big category killer titles in Art & Design, Culture, Natural History and Science. Across both imprints we work with expert authors to create innovative books with editorial integrity and strong design values. The books must have international appeal and are built to last.
Who you are/the role:
An experienced Senior Managing Editor looking for a new challenge or a Managing Editor looking for the next step. You should be highly organised and a good team player, with excellent diplomatic skills. Commercially savvy, you should be a creative problem solver and have experience in working in a fast-paced environment across an eclectic range of topics. You should be able to identify and attract new freelance talent and be passionate about maintaining a high standard of editorial quality and integrity.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Managing and supporting the live team across the Quarto Adult and Quintessence lists
- Allocation of titles to project editors (in and out of house) and overseeing the live books assigned to each editor; ensuring they run on time and to budget, fulfil the brief, and meet the customers’ expectations and contracted requirements.
- Working with the Art Director to build budgets and with the in-house editorial team in the book planning and briefing process
- Drawing up contracts for freelance authors and project editors.
- Reviewing manuscript/layouts/proofs/jackets with the editor of each title at agreed stages to ensure they fulfil the brief.
- Problem solving, supporting, and advising on editorial issues arising for each title.
- Covering for absences when the editors are sick or on annual leave
- Liaising with the legal department when necessary to ensure Quarto and Quintessence are making informed decisions about the content of our books.
- Keeping the Publisher up to date with the live programme and any issues arising
- Working with the Publisher, Commissioning Editor and inhouse creative teams to get to know the backlist and exploit the existing assets
- Ensure all our co-edition customers receive good customer service
What you will bring
- Knowledge and understanding of the global co-ed market
- Strong commercial sense and market understanding
- A passion for delivering excellence from original commission to the finished book
- Effective and empathetic communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to influence and manage key stakeholders to ensure delivery of the list
- Flexible and adaptable team player
- Strong organisational and administrative skills
- Confidence with budgeting and contracting authors and freelance talent
- Ability to think strategically and respond quickly to customer demands
- Attention to detail and tenacity to see through complicated projects
Please apply in writing attaching your cv and a one-page letter telling us why you think you would be suitable for the role. Please email to email@example.com. The closing date for application is 27th May 2022.
This is a full-time role currently two days a week in the office, moving to three in September.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.