An exciting opportunity has come up to lead one of Quarto’s pre-eminent co-edition publishing businesses. This is a publishing / business-focused role for someone with excellent creative vision, commercial awareness, and management skills. We are seeking candidates with experience in illustrated co-edition publishing, along with experience in selling concepts and proposals to UK and international English language markets.
Key Results Areas
PUBLISHING, EDITORIAL & CREATIVE
- Plan and build a vibrant programme of new titles.
- Manage and maintain a vigorous back-list programme.
- Report on publishing strategy to management and board.
- Propose new ideas for the list and curate teams’ proposals.
- Oversee projects from a commissioning stage to publication.
- Direct the creative team throughout book making process.
- Manage team to ensure all titles meet agreed delivery dates, budgets and quality.
- Keep abreast of trends in publishing/the wider world.
SALES & BUSINESS
- Set/deliver budgets for the year.
- Manage existing relationships and develop new concepts with key customers.
- Deliver new business and find new customers for the list’s programme.
- Travel to the US and bookfairs to sell English Language co-editions.
- Closely manage key existing sales relationships and develop new partnerships with English Language co-edition and propriety partners.
- Effectively line manage the co-edition publishing team.
- Carry out quarterly and annual team reviews, working with each direct report to establish goals and a clear plan for how they achieve those goals.
Minimum Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Excellent creative flair combined with a strong commercial understanding of the co-edition publishing business.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of the UK & US book trade.
- Ability to analyse trends, spot opportunities and develop appropriate publishing strategies.
- A track record of commissioning bestselling & strong back-list selling books.
- Understanding of publishing budgets and accounting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fundamental computer skills, including fluency with basic software (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Education and Experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a publisher role or equivalent position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Post-graduate degree.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an all-encompassing list of responsibilities, duties, and skills.
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
To apply, please send a covering letter and a copy of your CV for the attention of Sarah El Karamany, firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 04 May 2021.