Senior Commissioning Editor – Quarto Adults
Quarto co-edition imprint - Quarto Adults is looking for a Senior Commissioning editor. This is a great opportunity to join a friendly, collaborative, and talented team at an exciting stage of its growth and to help shape its future.
Who we are:
Quarto is a leading global publisher of highly engaging illustrated non-fiction for the international market. Our readers are curious adults and enthusiasts, and our categories range from craft to art instruction, reference, well-being and esoteric. We work with expert author and illustrators to create innovative books with editorial integrity and strong design values. We are co-edition publishers so our books must have international appeal and must be built to last.
Who you are/the role:
An experienced and creative commissioning editor with a good track record in bringing successful books to the international market. You should be a dynamic lateral thinker with excellent market awareness, commercial savvy, and a strong team player. You know how a good presentation becomes a good book and are passionate about delivering quality at every stage of the process. You should be able to identify and attract new talent and work with our roster of existing authors and IP to bring new books to the market.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Working closely with the Publisher to develop and deliver the Quarto publishing programme (approximately 40 titles per year) across a range of genres
- Researching and identifying new book opportunities across the list in the context of our customer base, market awareness, sales feedback, and competitor positioning
- Developing ideas from initial concept through to fully finished presentation
- Fully investigating the commercial viability of projects and with the ability and experience to use market data to best advantage
- In the early stages of the book idea development, guiding the author and moulding the content that will sell the book idea.
- Negotiating author contracts
- Assisting in the strategic management of the list as required
- Working with the creative team to supply the English Language and Foreign Language sales teams with the material they need to deliver sales
- Attending book fairs and representing the list at internal and external meetings
- You will be comfortable selling your books to a variety of audiences and customers – and have a proven flair for writing engaging sales copy
What you will bring
- Strong commercial sense and market understanding
- Effective and empathetic communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to influence and manage key stakeholders to ensure delivery of the list
- Flexible and adaptable team player
- Strong organisational and administrative skills
- Confidence with building profitable P&Ls for new proposals and in reading sales data
- Ability to think strategically and respond quickly to market changes
- Attention to detail and tenacity to see through complicated proposals
- Knowledge and understanding of the global co-edition market
Please apply in writing attaching your cv and a one-page letter telling us why you think you would be suitable for the role. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for application is 29th May 2022.
This is a full-time role currently two days a week in the office, moving to three in September.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.