Saqi Books is a leading independent publishing house specialising in the Middle East. Home to critically acclaimed authors from around the globe, we publish a prestigious mix of non-fiction and international literature. Our authors include Nobel Laureate Naguib Mahfouz, Egyptian feminist icon Nawal El Saadawi and contemporary voices such as Sabrina Mahfouz and Selma Dabbagh. Our progressive non-fiction imprint, The Westbourne Press, releases thought-provoking and entertaining works on the leading issues of our time, including successes by Joelle Taylor, Reza Aslan, Eric Berkowitz and China Miéville.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Associate Publisher to direct our publishing programme across all imprints. You’ll have broad experience at a senior level in the book publishing industry, with a strong working knowledge of sales, distribution and marketing in particular.
A strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial mindset, management experience and a collaborative approach, you will be eager to take up the challenge of leading our small, dynamic team into the next phase of expansion and profitability for Saqi. This role will carry considerable autonomy and would primarily suit an ambitious self-starter.
Key responsibilities for this role shall include:
- Assuming responsibility for the company’s day-to-day operations
- Managing the sales and distribution, publicity and marketing departments
- Setting financial targets and budgets
- Analysing, developing and managing key business streams
- Identifying new opportunities to sell the company’s titles and promote the brand
- Overseeing editorial and production workflow
- Supporting the editorial department on acquisitions and contract negotiations.
The successful candidate will have:
- At least three years’ experience in trade publishing in a senior role
- Extensive knowledge of book production from pitch to publication
- The ability to manage teams and to mentor junior members of staff
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter confirming your current salary via email to Lynn Gaspard, Publisher and Managing Director, email@example.com.
The closing date for this role is Monday 5 December 2022.
Saqi offers the following competitive benefits package:
- Hybrid working pattern
- Holidays: 24 days plus bank holidays
- Annual bonus
- Contributory pension scheme
- 9am – 5.30pm workday
Saqi Books, established in 1983, is an independent press with a global outreach and a diverse publishing programme. Our authors have won or been listed for the Booker Prize, the TS Eliot Prize, The Women’s Prize and the Saltire Society Literary Award, among others. Saqi has a sister company publishing in Arabic in Beirut, Lebanon. Read Our Story for how it all began.