Redwood is extremely excited to be working with this highly regarded imprint of a successful award-winning publisher. Based in London, our client is looking to add to its experienced commissioning team and the role would suit someone who can bring a fresh perspective to the imprint and enrich its commercial and cultural diversity.
The role of Senior Commissioning Editor/Editorial Director (depending on level of experience), will be responsible for managing a list of titles which will be shaped to make a striking market impact, have a strong flavour of originality and will extend the readership of the list. You will also inherit a cluster of notable prize-winning and best-selling authors. This role will be based remotely until current restrictions are lifted and will then offer a flexible working routine.
What you’ll be doing
- Acquiring, editing and publishing original, noteworthy and commercially powerful books for the list, focusing on those that are personality-led, or outsider stories, comic activism or gift/quirk propositions, in terms of route to market.
- Editorially and financially responsible for a list of authors and their publications (some may be inherited or previously contracted).
- Representing the list and the company to literary agents, scouts, journalists, festival directors and other literature professionals
- Negotiating terms of contracts for books
- Presenting and pitching books at launches and internal meetings
- Assessing submissions via agents and attempting commissions direct
The successful person will have:
- Demonstrable commissioning experience within a similar environment, ideally with a strong lean on non-fiction.
- Proven experience of editorial entrepreneurship
- A strong sense of how the book market is developing in the UK and beyond, in print and digital formats and building this into a strategy.
- An equal passion for working with fiction and non-fiction
- An aptitude for interpreting data, together with strong instincts about what the market might be about to need.
- A feel for how interesting, unprecedented books can become successful.
- Demonstrably high levels of dedication, collaboration and focus
This is a unique opportunity to commission, edit and publish a highly selective list of books, sourced from and appealing to an audience that is less familiar to the imprint, together with care of an inherited list of notable, prize-winning, best-selling authors.
If you would like further information on this amazing opportunity, please send your CV with a cover letter, outlining your interest and salary expectations.