If you have a proven track record of commissioning academic books and developing a profitable and progressive list we have an exciting Senior Commissioning Editor opportunity within the thriving Books team of Edinburgh University Press.
This role will look after the Literary Studies list, which is EUP's largest list covering Shakespeare to Contemporary Literature, and American and Transatlantic Literatures to Avant-Garde Criticism and Black Literary Studies. The list has international standing and the new Editor will continue to grow the list on a global scale. The Senior Commissioning Editor will commission titles across a range of formats, including monographs, scholarly critical editions, reference, textbooks and trade titles.
The role can be based in Edinburgh or remotely with regular attendance in the office.
Responsibilities will include:
- Keeping ahead of the latest research trends and competition in the national and international market
- Commissioning and adding value to titles from a diverse range of new and repeat authors, editors and series editors to build a successful commissioning portfolio
- Achieving agreed signing, list revenue and Gross Margin targets
- Developing the editorial strategy to achieve the continued growth and reputation of the publishing programme
- Providing excellent author care throughout the publication process
- Managing budgets and the backlist
- Demonstrating awareness of the changing publishing landscape and the opportunities for digital growth and Open Access
- Working closely with colleagues in production, marketing and sales
- Line-managing the Literary Studies Assistant Editor
- Travelling internationally to attend academic conferences and industry events.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, bringing an enthusiastic and innovative approach to this commissioning role. They will be able to develop author networks quickly and will demonstrate a strong understanding of the international academic market. Experience of working in the US publishing sector and with US academics is particularly welcome.
EUP is committed to the values of equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
For a full description of the role, please send your CV with a brief paragraph outlining your relevant skills.
Closing Date: Early applications may be prioritised.
** Inspired Search & Selection are a publishing recruitment specialist who operate an Equal Opportunities policy. We treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
In May 2019, Inspired Search & Selection pledged to promote The Book Trade Charity. As a charity, BTBS offer financial help to people (particularly those under the age of 30) looking for jobs in the book trade, including help with interview costs, to help support paid internships and work experience and for other opportunities for development. Please follow this link to check eligibility and further support.