We have a lovely role for an experienced Children’s Editor to work for a successful children’s publisher. The Senior Editor, (picture books) will work on a range of book titles and will be responsible for taking a number of projects through from acquisition to publication, including costing, editorial admin, editing text and illustrations.
This role requires solid picture book experience from a children’s publishing background and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Take to publication a specified number of titles once acquired across a range of formats, and create and develop new titles within the publishing strategy, including digital editions
- Create costings for new acquisitions together with sales, marketing and production
- Write cover copy, AIS and catalogue copy
- Liaise with agents/authors/in-house colleagues to enable smooth and efficient publication of books
- Administrate contractual and other processes on your own titles and as necessary on certain key authors and artists on behalf of the Editorial Director
- Suggest ideas for commissioning, build relationships with other departments, agents and assistant agents and the wider community
- Create and maintain Biblio records, including information sheets
- Project management for backlist and/or special sales projects as and when required
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong knowledge and experience of the editorial process from start to finish
- Knowledge and experience of the children’s picture book market and an interest in children’s books (essential).
- Knowledge of the contemporary children’s book market, in particular children’s books and pre-school lists and titles
- Proven track record in developing successful children’s picture books for the UK and international markets
- Demonstrable knowledge of the lifecycle of a book and detailed editing, proof-reading and copywriting skills
- Able to prioritise, organise and manage workflow and to meet deadlines
This is an ideal role within children’s publishing for an experienced individual who is looking for 2 days a week and to gain further experience and work on a range of fabulous children's picture books. If you have the experience and skills required, we would love to hear from you.
Please forward your CV and a short cover letter outlining your salary expectations and availability. This position is available immediately.