SPCK Group is the UK’s leading Christian publisher with a combined publishing turnover of around £8 million. The merger with Lion Hudson in 2021 resulted in the UK’s leading adult Christian publisher combining forces with its leading children’s Christian publisher, creating a broad-based UK publisher that is able to compete on a global level. There are significant plans to grow the business’s sales and distribution, underpinned by a strong new commissioning strategy. The challenge for the commissioning team for adult books is to find new authors who can deliver titles that will sell strongly in both general and international markets.
We now have a unique opportunity for an enthusiastic Commissioning Editor to join our team. This role will work within a small team reporting directly to the Publishing Director. You will have a passion for championing new voices and be able to seek out new publishing opportunities and build an exciting community around these. This is a hybrid role with a requirement to be in the London office once a week. We have just moved into a new office in Farringdon and launched our new company values – Significant, Passionate, Creative, and Knowledgeable. It’s a great time to join us! This is a full-time permanent role, however we offer lots of flexibility around hours and offer all-round summer hours so you can finish early every Friday if you wish. We would also consider part-time hours for the right individual.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Commission and develop new titles, and refresh and repurpose backlist titles.
- Negotiate terms and prepare contracts with authors, agents, overseas publishers and other organizations.
- Identify key existing authors and copyright-holders, and ensure both their retention and their continued delivery of new titles.
- Keep in touch with market trends to identify new areas that the SPCK Group can publish into.
- Work with the Publishing Director to develop strategies for the SPCK Group’s adult imprints that focus on key growth areas.
- Work with colleagues in Design to ensure delivery of prompt and useful cover briefs, so that covers are designed in time for launch meetings.
- Work with colleagues in Sales and Marketing to ensure that high-quality metadata and AIs are available in time for launch meetings.
- At least one year’s proven commissioning experience.
- Excellent relationship builder, ability to work effectively across departments including Sales, Rights, Marketing and Publicity to coordinate successful publication.
- Great organisation, time management and attention to detail.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to adapt and edit material for different readerships
- Enthusiasm for great publishing
We are looking to nurture and grow the right individual. If this role sounds like the right fit for you please do get in touch and apply with your CV to email@example.com. The deadline for this role is 30th September but don’t wait, apply now.