Production Controller / Buyer (Part-time)
Would you like to be involved in the creation of children’s books?
If so, we want to hear from you!
Sweet Cherry Publishing is an independent children’s publisher based in Leicester.
We are now looking for a Production Controller/Buyer to join our team.
Reports to: Publisher
In this role you will be responsible for negotiating with existing suppliers, finding new suppliers and managing supplier timescales. You will be responsible for managing supplier compliance and ensuring that books are delivered on time.
The role is based on 20 hours a week. You will need to be available to work in the mornings starting at 8.00am as you will mainly be dealing with suppliers based in Asia.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Proven experience of book production experience in fiction titles, 4 colour (highly illustrated books) or proven experience in a procurement/buying capacity
- Experience of liaising with overseas suppliers
- Good level of numeracy and an eye for detail
- Problem-solving attitude with an ability to prioritise, work to deadlines and the ability to multitask and work well in a busy environment
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Familiarity with Adobe including Indesign and Biblio/Stison (or similar software) is essential
- Experience of managing and negotiating print, ebook and audio prices to ensure products are produced to budget
- Experience ensuring that the books comply with current legislation and safety standards, and that products have the correct safety information/logos and complete risk assessments for all products
- The ability to effectively select suppliers based on price, quality and timescale
- A good knowledge of different printed and digital publishing formats and a high level of understanding when writing specifications
- Strong understanding of both trade and co-edition printing
Sweet Cherry Publishing is an independent children’s book publisher based in Leicester. We are a small team with a big mission! We believe that all children should have access to great stories and endeavour to break down the barriers which often get in the way of reading. We are proud of our Leicester heritage and work very closely with the local community to increase literacy rates and promote reading for pleasure. We are a positive & fun team with kindness, success and collaboration at the core of our values. We are proud to represent our authors and are passionate about sharing engaging stories with children of all abilities and backgrounds.
Company Mission Statement:
Bringing great stories within everyone’s reach
Kindness, fun, positivity, collaboration, helping society
What We Offer:
- Free tea, coffee and a lot of snacks!
- Monthly team activity
- Free onsite parking
- Workplace pension (if eligible)
20hrs/week, Monday – Friday
08:00 - 12:00
20 days plus bank holidays
Leicester - Head office
Work from home/remote working during COVID-19 only. You will be required to work from our Leicester office once the government guidelines allow.
Negotiable (based on experience)
Deadline for applications:
3rd November 2020
To apply, send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with subjuct line ‘PRODUCTION CONTROLLER’