Head of Production
Industry – Publishing/Crowdfunding
Unbound is a uniquely innovative, award-winning and rapidly growing publishing platform. We bring a community of book lovers together with a diverse range of creative talent from established literary names to bloggers, journalists, YouTube stars, designers and artists. All our titles are crowdfunded by an audience passionate about making them available to the general reader.
Reporting to the Managing Director, we are looking for an experienced production professional with proven trade experience to see all Unbound titles into print and ebook at the highest standards.
The successful candidate will be a creative thinker, open to unique production ideas and leading the business in what could be possible. They will have a portfolio of contacts to draw on to create our beautiful books.
Unbound are a small and passionate team. We are looking for an adaptable, proactive individual who is happy to roll up their sleeves and take a collaborative approach to all tasks undertaken. We are committed to making book publishing a more diverse and representative industry so we would particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian, and other ethnic minority candidates.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Being responsible for the production, manufacturing and delivery to schedule of all Unbound’s print product and ebooks, including:
- Working closely with editorial to create detailed production schedules based on publication date, and liaise with editors throughout the production process to ensure these are met
- Managing interior book designs through to final files, including briefing external typesetters and four-colour book designers
- Controlling all aspects of pre-press including preparing materials for repro, working with external repro houses on colour management and passing final printer plotters and running sheets
- Taking in final text and design corrections using InDesign and Photoshop.
- Working with printers, shippers and logistics suppliers on UK and US deliveries and distribution, including reviewing all relevant customs and shipping documents
- Working with the sales department on stock management and reprints
- Working with the Head of Editorial on cost forecasts to calculate crowdfunding targets
- Maintaining good working relationships, negotiating price deals and payment terms with existing suppliers, whilst actively seeking new suppliers per the interests of the business
Key skills required:
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience working with mono-and four-colour book design and production in a senior trade publishing role
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Photoshop
- Excellent knowledge of printing techniques, materials and binding styles
- A good network of freelance designers and printers
- Experience of domestic and international distribution
- Highly organised with an ability to set priorities within a busy workload
- Enthusiasm for innovation and meeting the new challenges
Location: Hybrid working between London Bridge office and home-working
Salary: £50k per annum
Closing Date: 29th May 2022
Start Date: ASAP
To apply send an email attaching your CV and covering letter to email@example.com entitled ‘Head of Production’.