Junior Commissioning Editor
Based in canal side offices in Hoxton, Unbound is a uniquely innovative, award-winning and rapidly growing publishing platform. We bring a community of book lovers together with a diverse range of creative talent from established literary names to bloggers, journalists, YouTube stars, designers and graphic novelists. All our titles are crowdfunded by an audience passionate about making them available to the general reader.
Reporting to the Co-Founder and Publisher of Unbound, the role will be expected to support them in launching books on the crowdfunding platform as well as commissioning their own projects and managing these through the crowdfunding process onto delivery of the manuscript.
This is a fantastic opportunity join a small, passionate commissioning team, develop your career under the guidance of an experienced publisher and build your own list, in a supportive environment. We are looking for an adaptable, proactive individual who is happy rolling up your sleeves with an outward facing approach to all tasks undertaken.
Unbound is committed to making book publishing a more diverse and representative industry so we would particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian or other minority ethnic candidates
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Direct support to the Publisher including:
- Assisting with setting up project pages and creating pledge levels for each project page, including collating assets for the page
- Producing accurate costings for each project
- Supporting contract negotiations with author and/or agent
- Working with the author to ensure they are fully briefed and understand what is expected from them
- Commission a minimum of one project per month
- Identify authors that will be able to successfully crowdfund their books and has potential for sales success in the trade market
- Ensure authors understand how Unbound works, how to best crowdfund and the time scales involved
- Keep up to date records on your ongoing project pipeline
- Set up and manage the project on the Unbound site as per the above support for the Publisher
- Liase with Editorial in the period between the book being funded and the manuscript being delivered
- Work alongside the Marketing team to promote the crowdfunding campaign
- Generate your own book ideas and find suitable authors to write and fund them
- Strategise with the commissioning team on new ways of commissioning, reaching new audiences, attracting new talent, ideas for growth and ways to achieve launch targets
- Contribute ideas and input to other Commissioning Editor’s projects when required
Key Skills Required
- Passion for books
- Creative and ideas driven
- Self-driven and able to work autonomously, while also being collaborative within a team
- Enthusiastic and adaptable
- Able to work well under pressure
- Capable of meeting deadlines
- Verbal and written communication skills
To apply send an email including your CV to email@example.com with the role title in the subject line.