Editorial Assistant – Fiction (Fixed-term 6 months)
Welbeck Fiction is a rapidly growing business that published its first titles in June 2020. With a string of bestsellers already, we are looking for a well-organised and entrepreneurial Editorial Assistant to provide support across all areas of the list, reporting to the publisher. The duties are varied. Because the department is fundamentally boutique in size and structure, the successful candidate will be involved very closely with all aspects of our authors’ books and publications.
Perfect for a recent graduate of a publishing MA or for someone coming into editorial from a different role within the industry.
Start date: immediate.
Key responsibilities include:
- Generating and maintaining editorial data on our internal systems
- Preparing costings for our titles
- Ensuring the books get to the copyeditors, proof-readers, typesetters and authors on time (i.e., critical path)
- Being a conduit of information between sales, marketing, publicity, design and editorial
- Processing and managing payments
- Assisting with writing copy, briefing covers, editing and acquiring
- Creating/updating/checking our AIs
- Preparing prelims, end-matter and corrected pages for paperbacks/reprints/new editions of existing books
- Collating proof-readers’ and authors’ corrections when required
- General editorial research (competition, potential authors, Nielsen Bookscan etc.)
- Contributing ideas for possible new titles and new editions
- Liaising with marketing and sales on catalogues
- Monitoring titles online and updating metadata
£25,000- £27,000 per annum based on experience
25 days in addition to 3 days during Christmas
Discretionary bonus, season ticket loan, cycle to work, life assurance.
Please send through your CV with a short Covering Letter to email@example.com