Reporting to the Publisher and collaborating closely with design and marketing and with What on Earth Publishing’s partners, you will.
- Oversee the building and running of a brand-new line of books, including
- Planning the publishing program, insuring a balance of age groups and price points;
- Developing and maintaining the brand identity;
- Managing the relationships between What on Earth Publishing and the relevant partners, keeping these relationships effective, efficient, and peaceful.
- Acquire 8-10 children’s nonfiction/reference titles per year (mostly for the new line but including books outside that line as needed/desired), designed to stand out and sell strongly in the marketplace and to conform to the brand identity of the imprint for which it is acquired.
- Project manage all titles acquired from initial concept through to bound book, including running P&Ls, scheduling, recruiting authors and freelance contributors, managing book teams to deliver high-quality books on time and on budget, and managing metadata.
- Work closely with marketing to craft and support a powerful presence for the line and its individual titles in the marketplace, serving as a spokesperson if and as needed.
- Edit content, including
- Working closely with contributors and colleagues to plan and shape each title;
- Working closely with design to ensure a harmonious, appealing, and child-engaging marriage of illustration, photography, text, and design;
- Editing text for compelling storytelling and riveting information reporting, as well as for style, level and felicity.
- As there is no provision for an assistant, manage your own calendar, travel planning, editorial support tasks, etc.
- Other duties as required.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, ‘Executive Editor' by Friday 7th August 2020.
We’re afraid we can only get back to successful applicants. No agencies, please.
Thank you and good luck!