One of the world’s most respected publishers of illustrated children’s non-fiction, picture books, fiction, gift and novelty books, is looking for an Editor/Senior Editor to join their team on a 12-month fixed-term basis to cover parental leave. The imprint publishes innovative and creative books for babies and young readers 0-12 years, with this opportunity particularly focused on exciting non-fiction projects (with further scope across picture and gift books!). The right person for this opportunity is passionate about children’s publishing, with a demonstrable track record of delivering on title projects.
The role would suit an exceptional editor or senior editor with bags of passion, a love for nurturing authors and illustrators, along with the tenacity and drive to support the award-winning list. Due to the smaller nature of the team everyone is tasked with bringing forward new ideas, with opportunities to acquire and commission new titles. As such, you will have a sense of what you want to put out in the world!
- You will manage multiple projects to tight deadlines and be able to organise the administrative day-to-day tasks of an editor with speed and competency, ensuring books publish on time and to the highest standard
- A passion for nurturing authors and illustrators – and the ability to problem-solve with care and sensitivity, giving each book all it needs to stand out on the shelf
- Key responsibility for all commercial aspects of book projects, e.g. costings, contract negotiation, budgets and schedules
- Identifying publishing opportunities, maintaining own market awareness, and developing and proposing new book ideas to contribute at creative meetings as well as reviewing submissions and commissioning new authors/creators
- Representing and promoting own titles, including presentations at sales conferences
Qualifications and Experience
- At least two years’ in-house experience working as an editor on illustrated children’s books, including negotiating and preparing contracts, scheduling and budget management
- A thorough understanding of the illustrated children’s book market and the ability to apply sound commercial awareness and judgement
- Experience and passion for nurturing authors, editing texts and commissioning commercial titles, as well as an ability to brainstorm and develop innovative ideas in-house
- A strong eye for illustration, confident in developing flat plans and detailed illustration briefs, in collaboration with design
- Excellent copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Experience of working with freelance editors and packagers
- The ability to work confidently in InDesign
- Knowledge of Biblio or similar publishing management system
- Knowledge and experience of co-edition publishing
At Wonderful Recruitment we provide opportunities for candidates to discover some of the most interesting and dynamic roles in the entertainment industry. For more information about this role please send your CV to - firstname.lastname@example.org.