Reporting to: Senior Marketing and Campaigns Manager
Contract: Full time (35 hours per week), 12 months fixed term contract (maternity cover)
Salary: Circa £34,000 to £37,000 per annum depending on experience
Yale University Press London is looking for an experienced senior publicist to join their marketing team on a fixed term contract, with responsibility for delivering high impact PR campaigns for our Trade & Academic list covering history, current affairs, music, biography, philosophy & ideas and popular science.
Purpose of job
To plan and implement high impact, creative publicity campaigns, working closely with authors, editors, marketing and sales colleagues to maximise the value of coverage and drive sales
Originally founded in New Haven Connecticut in 1908, Yale University Press has a unique position as the only American university press with a full-scale publishing operation in Europe, publishing serious non-fiction and fiction in translation, that contributes to a global understanding of human affairs. Our diverse and prize-winning list includes numerous prestigious museum and gallery partnerships, the Pevsner architectural guides series, and books by globally respected authors including Carmen Bambach, John Carey, Terry Eagleton, Nicholas Kenyon, Yasmin Khan, Geoffrey Parker, Thomas Piketty, Griselda Pollock, David Rieff, Zeynep Tufekci and Can Xue.
Yale University Press London is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We value, promote and seek diversity.
- Working closely with our authors, plan and implement multifaceted campaigns that seek to deliver on every availability PR opportunity, covering traditional and non-traditional media including print, broadcast, online and events.
- Work with marketing and sales colleagues to communicate plans and maximise the value of coverage when it lands.
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists, event organisers and external partners, keeping an excellent level of knowledge of the ever-changing media landscape. Pool tips, ideas and advice with other publicists in the team
- Add your voice to meetings on the shape of the future list and keep acquisition editors updated through the life of your campaigns from the planning stages through to post-publication.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with marketers in the department to ensure promotion of events via our social media channels, and supply of print marketing materials as required.
- Communicate information about events to the sales team in a timely way to make sure that bookselling opportunities are assessed and responded to.
- Submit stories to the trade press about YUPL and its publishing when opportunities arise
- Maintain a team-oriented approach, sharing information and collaborating with colleagues.
- Maintain campaign records so that results can be assessed and inform the publishing process.
- Manage spend for author travel and accommodation keeping within agreed budget parameters.
- Attend and contribute to marketing meetings, planning documents and general departmental administration.
- Work with all departments to ensure high standards of design, copy and accuracy - to deadlines.
- Support colleagues at launch parties and events as required.
- Perform any other duties from time to time as required by the senior marketing and campaigns manager.
Person Specification – Key knowledge & skills
• 3+ years of previous book PR experience with strong knowledge of the media landscape for books
• Superb copywriting and pitching skills
• Strong project management skills
• A creative and entrepreneurial approach to seeking and creating publicity opportunities
• Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills
• Ability to work cross-functionally, prioritize and problem solve
• Strong time management and attention to detail
• Strong market awareness within the publishing industry
• Analytical skills to review work and make improvements
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Gorkana or an equivalent media intelligence solution
What we can offer
Yale University Press London offers a generous package of benefits including accommodation deposit and travel loans, a cycle purchase scheme, a lively social scene and a generous pension scheme.
The role will be based in our offices on Bedford Square in Bloomsbury WC1, with convenient access to the Northern, Central and Elizabeth lines as well as many bus routes. Hybrid working is available and can be discussed further at interview.
Please send your CV and supporting covering letter (including availability, notice period details and current salary) to: email@example.com ensuring you include “Senior Publicist” in the email subject line.
Closing date Thursday 7th July 2022
Processing and safeguarding your data - Please see YUPL’s candidate privacy notice https://www.yalebooks.co.uk/pid/page/job